Saturday 22 April 2017

My first job as a...

...Teacher!

My piano teacher offered me an opportunity to teach piano theory lessons to her lower grade students. I was excited as I was waiting for an opportunity to teach piano if I could find a student (which never happened 😜) even after my efforts - advertising in my residential society. So I grabbed the opportunity at the first instance as I am confident of my teaching abilities.

Today was my second day of teaching and I already came across different types of students (every teacher's dilemma). One common characteristic among all of them was they were bored of completing exercises by themselves. So, my teacher arranged group sessions as the piano exam is nearing. She asked her senior students (including me) to help her teach and grade the students.

I had to deal with a tough student for the first time ever. I immediately wondered how could a ten-year old boy be so arrogant and argumentative. He is undoubtedly smart and intelligent but he doesn't have a good attitude towards learning. My teacher told me that he took another senior student for a ride, finally making her believe in what he thought was right. Today, I could handle him without raising my voice or scolding, but just by being firm on what I wanted to convey. Though he argued initially, he later calmed down. My teacher was around watching me deal with him, and appreciated the way I handled him.

I am hoping this teaching experience (which will continue for a couple of months) will help me fetch some money during my stay in the university for my undergraduation.

PS: Right now, I am waiting for my first salary. 😁

-Suhas
22nd April '17

No comments:

Post a Comment