Friday 15 July 2016

Day 2: Grinding more...

Yesterday was the second day of grinding the mirror for the telescope.

Right off the bat, I continued to use the 400 particle size grit for grinding but unlike Day 1, I had to use the mirror below and the tool on top (TOT position). So, basically, the mirror was being ground by the glass tool (The same motion as the previous day - the LW at first, but SW later). The LW is the motion in which left to right motion (of about 1-inch) is added to the scraping motion mentioned in Day 1 post. SW has a pattern of motion same as the LW but the distance is only about 1-cm in contrast to LW's 1-inch.

I completed 400, cleaned the wooden platform thoroughly with water, brushes and sponge as no particles of one particle size should mix with finer particles of another particle size (larger grit number). Once, it was cleaned thoroughly, I started the same process with 600 (TOT and SW) after eating my lunch. I stopped for the day soon after starting with 600 as my arms and shoulders ached. This whole grinding procedure is really tiring!

-Suhas

No comments:

Post a Comment