Monday 22 August 2016

A lecture on gravitational waves

Previous Tuesday, I went to attend a lecture along with a friend, on gravitational waves and LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) at IUCAA (the same place where I ground the mirror for my telescope). This lecture was by an Australian professor visiting India for talk on LIGO India. I came to know about the discovery of gravitational waves when the news was first released in September 2015 but, I did not know much about how LIGO functioned or how the waves originated. I am lucky that I got a chance to attend this lecture (and after completing 12th standard physics as now I have a better knowledge about quantum theories). The lecture was very informative and not the least of boring. It instigated in me, quite a few thoughts about these quantum physics theories. Hopefully I can attend more lectures in the future!

-Suhas

No comments:

Post a Comment