Tuesday 26 July 2016

Day 5: Grinding complete!

Yesterday, it was my target to complete the grinding process. As soon as I went to the place, I continued grinding with the 1200 grit that I had left the previous time. It was very very difficult to predict the right amount of grit to be used for grinding because if I use too much, I might scratch the mirror and on the other hand, if I do not use enough, the mirror will not grind sufficiently. During the first revolution of the platform, I was just figuring out the perfect amount of grit to be used. From the next revolution onward, I understood the right amount and consistency of grit to be used.

I did two revolutions and then took a break each time so that my shoulders do not feel fatigued. After four rounds, I had my lunch and then continued to grind on. After sir came back from his lunch, he checked my mirror and told the grinding hour target was achieved (finally!!!). I cleaned up the platform once again. The next time I will go to continue the telescope making process, I will start off with polishing! The work was done for the day...

-Suhas

No comments:

Post a Comment