Tuesday 9 August 2016

Day 6: Polishing!

Yesterday, although I was sick, I went to start the next stage of making my telescope - polishing the mirror after the grinding process was complete. I was excited in thought that this would be something different. But once I reached there, I realized that it was to be the same old grinding method, only with different materials. This process is done with a different tool (fish tool), not the same glass tool used for the grinding process. Also, 'grit' is not used for this process but Ferric oxide solution is used. This process was easier than the process with grit as I was not supposed to apply pressure while rubbing the fish tool and the mirror together with the lubricant as the Ferric oxide solution. This solution helps shape the mirror to attain the spherical format required for the telescope.

I went after lunch and so, I did continuous polishing of the mirror (TOT and SW) for about two hours before I stopped as my arms wore out due to muscle aches (as I was sick). So, I told sir that I would be leaving. He told me to put the fish tool over the mirror in hot water before I left so that the next day, the polishing could be done with more ease. I followed that and stopped for the day...

-Suhas

No comments:

Post a Comment